Carlin & Buchsbaum, LLP
Fighting For Employee Rights Since 1970 : Long Beach, CA
Free Consultations | Hablamos Español 562-606-0382

How can you file a formal complaint at work?

Some people may feel as if they are no stranger to mistreatment. They may have grown up in difficult family situations or experienced bullying throughout their school years. You may have been among the many who looked forward to adulthood so that you could build a life of your own away from such negative environments.

Unfortunately, landing your dream job may not have had the effect you desired. In fact, a manager, a supervisor or your co-workers may have started mistreating you in various ways. Your employer may have passed you over for promotion for unfair reasons, like your race or gender, or your co-workers may have subjected you to harassing actions. Now, you likely wonder what to do about this wrongdoing.

Formal complaints

Hopefully, when your employer hired you, you received an employee handbook that provided instruction on how to make complaints with the human resources department or other applicable parties within the company. If so, you should follow those procedures. If you are uncertain about how to properly file a complaint due to a lack of instruction or clarity, the following actions are often useful:

  • Create and submit a formal letter detailing your complaint, including the reasons for your complaint, dates on which the wrongdoing occurred and accounts of what exactly happened.
  • When submitting your complaint, it is best to give it to the applicable person directly rather than mailing it or leaving it on the person's desk. By handing it over in person, you may help avoid the possibility of someone claiming that he or she never received the complaint.
  • After filing your complaint, you may need to attend a meeting to discuss the issues with the HR representative, your supervisor and possibly the individual or individuals against whom you made the claims. This step may seem intimidating, but it may give you the opportunity to provide additional details about your concerns.

Hopefully, the results of the follow-up meeting will include further investigation into your complaint or direct disciplinary action to those who have acted unjustly.

Further action

Unfortunately, some internal complaints go unaddressed, and individuals need to take further action to have their complaints heard and any damages rectified. If you believe that you have been mistreated on the job, especially in an illegal capacity, enlisting the help of a California attorney is wise. This legal professional can help you draft your formal complaint, attend the follow-up meeting with you and assist you in taking additional legal action in the event that your complaint does not garner appropriate action.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Super Lawyers
  • Gary R. Carlin | AV | Click to play | AV Preeminent | Matindale-Hubbell Lawyer Ratings
  • AV | LexisNexis | Martindale-Hubbell | PeerReviewRated | For Ethical Standard And Legal Ability
  • Legal Leaders | Presents Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Lawyers | 2015
Email Us For A Response

301 East Ocean Boulevard, Suite 1550
Long Beach, CA 90802

Toll Free: 866-915-3589
Phone: 562-606-0382
Phone: 562-432-8933
Fax: 562-435-1656
Map & Directions

Review Us

Contact Us For A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy